Coupling code: Blue Square
Underframe: 57ft 6in
Engines: Leyland 150hp
These were the first of three classes built by BRC&W Co. Ltd. at Smethwick, in association with the Drewry Car Co. Ltd.
The first sets delivered were three-car sets delivered to Longsight (9A) in 1957. Within three years, there were 302 vehicles of six different car types allocated to many London Midland and North Eastern depots.
Of the routes worked by the class, the one they became synonymous with is the Buxton to Manchester Piccadilly 'Spa Line', and also Blackpool services.
A notorious set was the "Mexican Bean" which worked a summer Oban - Crainlarich tourist duty painted in maroon and white.
The final vehicle was withdrawn from passenger use in 1993, some saw departmental use as sandite and RTC vehicles. Thirteen vehicles were preserved.
Single Engine Conversion
3-car diagrams & Works Pics
2-car diagrams & Drivers Instructions
4-car diagrams & Works Pics
Details about preserved Class 104s can be found here.
Many thanks to Kevin Dowd for his assistance in the preparation of these pages, and to Eddie Knorn for further data.