Coupling Code: Blue Square
Coupling Type: Screw
Gangway Type: LMS
Engines: AEC 150hp
Lot Number: 30278
|Sep-57||New to||6G (Llandudno Junction)|
|Nov-57||On loan to||8E (Brunswick)|
|Jan-58||Transferred to||8E (Brunswick)|
|Jun-58||Transferred to||3C (Ryecroft)|
|Jun-60||Depot code change||21F (Ryecroft)|
|Sep-63||Depot code change||2G (Ryecroft)|
|3w/e 31/01/65||Transferred to||2H (Monument Lane)|
|3w/e 30/04/66||Transferred to||2G (Ryecroft)|
|3w/e 30/06/66||Transferred to||6A (Chester)|
|3w/e 30/03/69||Transferred to||9A (Longsight)|
|May-73||Depot code change||LO (Longsight)|
|10/06/84||Transferred to||NH (Newton Heath)|
|May-85||Stored S.||NH (Newton Heath)|
|p/e 11/09/85||Reinstated||NH (Newton Heath)|
|p/e 17/02/87||Stored S.||NH (Newton Heath)|
|circa July 1987||Reinstated||NH (Newton Heath)|
|31/03/89||Transferred to||CP PSPX|
|13/06/89||Withdrawn from||CP PXXZ|
Dec-86 - 53355 + 53812 transfer to AY to become 105553 published but then cancelled.
Apr-87 - 53355 + 53812 transfer to CH and Leyland engines fitted published then cancelled.
early January 1988 - Headcode panel glass damaged and both overpainted in yellow
50355 - original number
53355 - from Jul-83 (53xxx / 54xxx change)
|50355||56110||As delivered to 6G - September 1957|
|50355||56110||Transfer to 8E - Nov-57|
|53355||53812||Listed at Newton Heath - Summer 1986|
|53355||53812||Noted 29th August 1987|
|53355||53812||Noted 10th October 1987|
|53355||53812||Noted 21st November 1987|
|53355||53812||Noted 12th December 1987|
|53355||53812||Noted 30th December 1987|
|N699||53355||53812||Listed at NH - March 1988|
|N699||53355||53812||Listed at NH - May 1988|
|N699||53355||53812||Listed at NH - May-88|
|N699||53355||53812||Noted circa May-88|
|N699||53355||53812||Noted circa Jul-88|
|53355||53812||Noted 25th October 1988|
circa Jul-72 - AWS fitted
The Gloucester/Cravens twin on Chester MPD, 53355 + 53812. Date unknown. On Tour With the Class 13 Army.
53355 at Cheetam Hill with 53812, 24/8/84. Jerry Glover.
On September 23rd 1984 the Newton Heath based Gloucester/Cravens twin set, 53355/53812 was being used on a shuttle service from the Steamport Museum to Southport Station as part of a joint open day. In this view the set has just left Steamport and is heading towards St Lukes before reversing back towards Southport Station. Note that the disused island platform at St Lukes was still in existance, despite the station closing in 1968. This section of line also carried the electrics to Meols Cop, Hesketh Park, Churchtown and Crossens, sadly lost in an act of wanton vandalism and stupidity when the line from Preston to Southport was closed in September 1964. Had the electric service survived it would now be well patronised and could have formed the basis of a park and ride from the A565 near Banks that would have relieved Southport of much traffic. Martyn Hilbert.
Standing in Manchester Victoria on 17th December 1985 with a service for Blackburn is a hybrid unit that had a bit of a following around the Manchester area. It comprised of a 1957 Gloucester built class 100 DMBS (M53355) and 1958 built Cravens class 105 DMCL (M53812), both cars were asbestos free which was the reason they were to be the last of their class in service. They were withdrawn towards the end of 1988. Andrew J Crowther.
The final 100/105 hybrid set 53355 / 53812 leaving Preston in 1986. The top marker lamp appears to have a red bulb in it, and a Class 127 parcels set is on the right. Gery Miller.
The last Class 100 in passenger service M53355, paired with the last class 105 Cravens unit in service, M53812 forming a Blackburnl service at Manchester Victoria on 17 February 1986. This Newton Heath-allocated unit at the time was I believe the last BR DMU to carry a traditional tail lamp, as seen in this view, in place of marker lights. They were at one time earmarked for preservation by the National Railway Museum, probably the reason why they remained in service for so long after the other class members had been withdrawn, but a change of policy at the museum saw them consigned for scrap. They did have a brief spell of fame, achieving celebrity status due to their survival long after other class 100 and 105 units. Gordon Edgar.
53355 and 53812 are seen in Manchester Victoria on the 22nd March 1986. Paul Moxon.
53355 Class 100 is seen stabled at Tyseley on 27th September 1986. This was the last Class 100 left in service, and it is coupled to it's long time partner 53812 which was the last Class 105 in service. Both were sadly scrapped. Note the Manchester based Class 504 to the left, visiting the wheel lathe. Andy Cole.
53355 Class 100 is seen stabled at Tyseley carriage sidings on 11/10/86. It is coupled to Class 104 centre car 59153 and Class 105 DMS 53812. Andy Cole.
Entrusted to working the days Stockport-Stalybridge shuttle services, standing in Stockport's platform 3a is a hybrid unit that had a bit of a following around the Manchester area, it comprised of a 1957 Gloucester built class 100 DMBS (M53355) and 1958 built Cravens class 105 DMCL (M53812), both cars were asbestos free which was the reason they were the last of their class in service, they were withdrawn towards the end of 1988, its nice to see that the destination blind is set correctly, a month later this blind had disappeared. 9th January 1988. Andrew J Crowther.
Standing in Manchester Piccadilly's platform 3 on the 20th February 1988 is a hybrid unit that had a bit of a following around the Manchester area. It comprised of 1957 Gloucester built Class 100 DMBS (M53355) and 1958 built Cravens Class 105 DMCL (M53812). Both cars were asbestos free which was the reason they were the last of their class in service, they were withdrawn towards the end of 1988. Andrew J Crowther.
53355 and 53812 labelled N699, are seen at Stalybridge on the 11:xx shuttle to Stockport, 18th June 1988. Gazza Prescott.
53355 at Vic Berrys, Leicester, 24/10/90. Ian Francis.
53355 seen at Vic Berrys yard at Leicester on 24/10/90 with 53812. Ian Francis.
M53355 Vic Berrys, Leicester 11-11-90. Kevin Dowd.
M53355 Vic Berrys, Leicester. Unsuccessful attempts were made to save N699. 11-11-90. Kevin Dowd.
M53355 Vic Berrys, Leicester 11-11-90. Kevin Dowd.
Norwich Class 100/105 hybrid set 70 (50355 / 56134) in March station in August 1980. Ian Charles.
The last operational asbestos free Cravens Class 105 (M53812) and Gloucester Class 100 (M53355) operating from Newton Heath Depot, were paired together as a twin set for their last few months in traffic. The unit was employed on the Steamport shuttle from Southport Station to the museum at the former locomotive depot at Derby Road on September 23rd 1984 during a joint BR/Steamport open day. The DMU was to be saved as part of the national collection but was vandalised beyond repair at Crewe whilst in store. Behind the unit, construction of a new industrial estate is underway on what was the approach to the former West Lancashire Railway terminus building in Derby Road. Martyn Hilbert.
Cravens Class 105 53812 stands in the sunshine at Windsor Road Southport on September 23rd 1984. Coupled to Gloucester Class 100 M53355, the unit was awaiting permission to enter the Steamport Museum running line as part of a shuttle service from Southport Station during a joint BR/Steamport open day. The land visible behind the DMU once formed part of the Southport Goods Yard complex and was also the original route of the West Lancashire Railway from Preston to its small terminus at Kensington Road. Martyn Hilbert.
The final 105/100 hybrid set 53812 / 53355 leaving Preston in 1986. Gary Miller.
The 'business end' on this occasion of the class 105/100 Cravens/Gloucester hybrid DMU (M53812-M53355) at Manchester Victoria during the evening of 17 February 1986, with the driver having a 'power nap' before his departure for Blackburn. Gordon Edgar.
Class 105 53812 with Class 100 53355 in Manchester Victoria on 22/3/86. Paul Moxon.
On an overcast April 5th 1986 the Cravens/Gloucester twin formed of cars M53812 & M53355 accelerates away from Midge Hall whilst working the 16.07 Ormskirk to Preston. The odd pairing was due to these two cars being the last serviceable asbestos-free examples of their respective classes. Martyn Hilbert.
A brief burst of sunlight on an otherwise dull day illuminates the Cravens/Gloucester Twin, as it departs from Croston with the well-patronised 11.10 Ormskirk to Preston service on April 6th 1986. Each of the cars (53812 & 53355) were the last of their respective classes at Newton Heath Depot, and had been paired together for their last stint of service. The unit was earmarked for the National Collection at the NRM, but following withdrawal the DMU was vandalised beyond repair at Crewe South and was sadly scrapped. Martyn Hilbert.
A 4-car DMU formation in Preston on the 28th July 1986 with the Class 105/100 hybrid 53812 + 53355 nearest. Dennis Taylor.
Class 105 53812 is seen stabled at Tyseley on 27.09.1986 coupled with it's long time partner 53355. 53812 was the last Class 105 in service and 53355 was the last Class 100 in service. Andy Cole.
Something i have learnt today about these Cravens units is that they have the identical side profile, the same windows and doors to MK1 coaching stock! Entrusted to working the days Stockport-Stalybridge shuttle services, standing in Stockport's platform 3a is a hybrid unit that had a bit of a following around the Manchester area, it comprised of a 1958 built Cravens class 105 DMCL (M53812) and a 1957 Gloucester built class 100 DMBS (M53355), both cars were asbestos free which was the reason they were the last of their class in service, they were withdrawn towards the end of 1988. 9th January 1988. Andrew J Crowther.
N699 (53812 + 53355) at Stalybridge with a train for Stockport on the 18th June 1988. Gazza Prescott.
Set N699, formed of Class 105 53812 and Class 100 53355 is seen at Blackburn. Tom Clift.