Larger images: 1200px 1600px
Captured crossing the Selby Swing Bridge is a TransPennine class 124 dmu on the East Coast Main line at Selby, with the coaster "Gerda Prerse" from Hamburg in Germany moored on the River Ouse. July 18, 1973.
This is the second of two bridges here the first railway bridge (a lifting bascule bridge) was opened in 1840 and was worked mechanically by hand, the second bridge capable of carrying greater weight was ordered by the North Eastern Railway and opened in 1891.
This is the swing bridge in this photograph and it is hydraulically operated, the large building above the cab of the dmu is the hydraulic accumulator tower.
18th July 1973
Andrew J Crowther
Only registered users can leave comments. Sign in / Register.