427. SCHEMES FOR FUTURE EARLY CONSIDERATION
1. St.Pancras suburban service. Mr.Gould said he considered that, having regard to the shortage of man power in the London area, and the fact that electrification of this line was a long way ahead, it would be a good exercise to work up a scheme for this line, particularly to cover requirements of Luton. Present steam trains carry 1,000 passengers in 10 coach trains, and it was thought that suburban type of diesel units might meet requirements. The question is under consideration departmentally and report will be submitted as early as possible.
2. Nottingham - Sutton Town. Noted - that the General Manager has agreed that this line be re-opened and an experimental service operated until the end of the summer. It is proposed to start with a steam service on February 20th. Mr.Butland requires that track to be inspected before the service commences and will contact the E.R. regarding the replacement of the steam service by diesel units as an early date with increased frequency of service, and ascertain whether E.R. can provide the necessary units. If not, possibility to be considered of units being found from L.M. resources by utlising in succession units completed and spare pending the introduction of the schemes for which they have been earmarked.
3. Hooton - West Kirby. The Chairman explained that it was desired to close this line but the Transport Users' Consultative Committee had not accepted the proposal of the B.T.C. The General Manager was desirous of a diesel service being put in as a matter of urgency as an experiment. Messrs.Gould and Read will look into the question of a frequent service with possible extension to Helsby. It was suggested that single car diesel units be considered for working on this section; Mr.Stanley will, as a matter of urgency, submit a design for single car diesel unit.
428. SCHEMES JOINT WITH EASTERN REGION BUT NOT YET PREPARED
1. Cambridge Mr.Gould said he had now heard from Mr.Johnson and so far as the E.R. is concerned, this scheme has very little priority. It was agreed that so far as the L.M.R is concerned no further action is necessary as the present time.
2. Nottingham Area. Noted that joint report is in course of circulation and will be ready for the next meeting.
429. SCHEMES ALREADY IN OPERATION
1. West Cumberland
(a) Traffic receipts to 31.12.55. noted.-
|1.||Carlisle - Silloth
|2.||Carlisle - Workington via Penrith.
|3.||Carlisle - Whitehaven
|Total - Whole Scheme||80,346||46,823||33,523||71.66|