All the first batch, the mechanicals, were delivered in 1959 to 26A, except the last set which went to 24A. The second batch, the hydraulics, were all delivered in late 59/60, mainly to 24A, although a few went to 26A.
24A was Accrington, a steam shed which had conversion work done to allow them to look after these units.
The Rolls-Royce sets began to work between Manchester, Accrington, Burnley, Colne & Skipton, and between Accrington and Preston, on the 6th March 1961, the last phase of the North East Lancashire diesel scheme to be introduced.
The 112s would soon also be allocated to depots such as Reddish, Speke Jct, Allerton & Stoke.
Between '62 and '67 seventeen of the hydraulic vehicles were allocated to Cricklewood. They returned to Lancashire when all the Class 112s moved south (all except 51705/24, which had been involved in a fire in Sough Tunnel and were soon withdrawn).
This Class was used on the St. Pancras - Bedford service to allow running over the City Widened Lines from which the longer 127s were banned.
Not long after, and with some operating restrictions, route availability was given for longer vehicle types to run over these lines and the Cravens were taken off the St Pancras suburban services in August 1968 when 116s arrived at Cricklewood from Tyseley. All were withdrawn that November, except nine units (51683/8/91/2/7/700-3, 51706/10/3/7/9/20/7/8/30) which continued to be used on Kentish Town - Barking services.
A Class 113 was noted running with a Class 127 centre car (51732 + 59623 + 51761) on Kentish Town - Barking services on March 2 1963. See the image on page 117 of the Brian Morrison book.