close

Sign In


  Remember Me

Not registered?

Class 111 Met-Camm sets 2/3/4-car DMUs


Operations

The four power/trailer sets, 50134-7 etc. arrived on the LMR in 1957. They were intended for the Manchester area, but were due to first carry out trials on other parts of the LMR.

50134/56090 and 50135/56091 were noted working from LO on the 20th April '57.

The British Industries Fair services in 1957 were worked by 111s. Longsight sets 50134/56090, 50136/56092 and 50137/56093 worked the Birmingham (New St.) to Castle Bromwich trains from the 6th to the 17th May. On the Saturday additional services were worked by 101s 50207/56059 and 50208 fresh from Saltley. The 111s were back in Manchester on the 19th.

All other vehicles stayed on the ER, 50270-9 etc. being for the West Riding. The first 3-car (50270/59100/50280) arrived at Hammerton St on the 31st October '57.

Unfortunately at the end of '57/start of '58 there were no official records of the transfer of sets between Bradford and Darlington. But after receiving Rolls Royce sets in November, at least eight 101 cars were sent north on the 21st. The 111s arrival also saw the trailers removed from 101 power twin such as 50155/61 and 50156/62, returning them to original formation.

The ten NER sets were introduced on the 2nd March '58 on a new diesel service between Leeds and Barnsley, and many of the Leeds - Castleford and Wakefield - Bradford services were extended to Pontefract and Goole respectively. That date also saw a daily through DMU working between Bradford and Hull and Wakefield and Hull, and dieselisation of the Huddersfield - Wakefield Westgate connections with main-line trains to and from Kings Cross.

In the early '60s the LMR sets moved to the ER in exchange for four Class 101 power trailers (50203/6/8/28 56055/8/60/80).

The buffet cars initially work with the 1959/60 sets but later they were used in Class 101 4-car sets, and either TS would work with either class.

Neville Hill Opening

The image shows a set breaking through some tape to officially open "Neville Hill Motive Power Depot, Diesel Multiple Unit Section" in 1960.

Three vehicles saw early withrawal. DMBS NE50285 went first in November 1966. It was noted in April the following year at the back of Bradford Hammerton Street shed, without engines, transmission, windows and interior fittings, and its rear sheeted over to cover accident damage. TSL 59103 was withdrawn during the week ending September 6th, 1969. The third was DMBS E51547, withdrawn during the week ending July 25th, 1970.

Summary
Description
Numbering
Liveries
Operations
Decline
Non-Passenger Use
Images

Details about the preserved Class 111 vehicle can be found here.

© RAILCAR.co.uk 1998 - 2017