The Stourton Saloon 975637 / 975664 is seen at Leeds in November 1987. Michael Kaye 55A.
Departmental Class 100 975539 / 975349 seen at Ely in 1988. Surface Stock.
Entrusted to working the days Stockport-Stalybridge shuttle services, standing in Stockport's platform 3a is a hybrid unit that had a bit of a following around the Manchester area, it comprised of a 1957 Gloucester built class 100 DMBS (M53355) and 1958 built Cravens class 105 DMCL (M53812), both cars were asbestos free which was the reason they were the last of their class in service, they were withdrawn towards the end of 1988, its nice to see that the destination blind is set correctly, a month later this blind had disappeared. 9th January 1988. Andrew J Crowther.
Departmental Class cars 975664 975637 (formerly cars 51122 56300) catch the early morning sunlight in what was then Newcastle platform 6 on 17/02/1988. This was the Eastern Region's 'Stourton Saloon', re-liveried by Ilford depot in 1985 in the two-tone blue scheme then being applied to the Provincial Sector's new railbuses (Classes 142 / 143). The destination blind has also been removed from above the centre cab front window. Behind in platform 4 are InterCity Sleeper coaches, which were axed from the East Coast Main Line shortly afterwards from the May 1988 timetable change. Graeme Phillips Collection.
Standing in Manchester Piccadilly's platform 3 on the 20th February 1988 is a hybrid unit that had a bit of a following around the Manchester area. It comprised of 1957 Gloucester built Class 100 DMBS (M53355) and 1958 built Cravens Class 105 DMCL (M53812). Both cars were asbestos free which was the reason they were the last of their class in service, they were withdrawn towards the end of 1988. Andrew J Crowther.
Departmental cars 975349 975539 (formerly 51116 56101) pass through the centre roads of Newcastle station on 21/04/1988. Graeme Phillips Collection.
53355 and 53812 labelled N699, are seen at Stalybridge on the 11:xx shuttle to Stockport, 18th June 1988. Gazza Prescott.
Taken near Gilberdyke from a DMU heading for Hull, the Eastern Region general manager's inspection saloon "The Stourton Saloon" headed by DB975637 with DB975664 behind passes the other way on 18/Jun/1988. These two vehicles were converted from Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Co. class 100 DMUs 56300 (DTCL) and 51122 (DMBS) respectively. They were taken into departmental stock in 1978 and withdrawn in 1990, being scrapped at Snailwell in Cambridgeshire. As a footnote there were at one time six preserved class 100 vehicles and as of this month that total is down to three, with the news that long-stored 56317 which has been passed from pillar to post in recent years, has been scrapped. Happily the two car set consisting of 56097 and 51118, the only surviving class 100 power car, are currently undergoing a thorough restoration and should be back in service soon after many years out of use. Robert Chilton.
The Stourton Saloon seen at Doncaster on 29/6/88. Malcolm Clements.
The Stourton Saloon 975664 975637 at Peterborough in 1989, attached to another GRC&W set. John Law.
Class 100 DB 975349 is seen stabled at Doncaster. This was renumbered from 51116, and was used in route learning and inspection workings. Andy Cole.
The 'Stourton Saloon' 975637 + 975664 at Cambridge on the 7th August 1989. On the left is Cravens 977126 facing Met-Camm 53233. Mike Cooper.
ADB977191, 915 M55975 + M55985, M55969+M55968, 914 M55980 + M55984 and 911 M55970 + M55971 at Crewe Basford Hall on 24-9-89. Kevin Dowd.
975539 / 975349 at Skipton station on 30/10/89. Michael Kaye 55A.
The drivers controls of 975539. Taken at Skipton on 30/10/89. Michael Kaye 55A.
975539 at a ceremony for the re-opening of Ribblehead Viaduct on 30/10/89. David Hills Collection.
Class 100 975349 + 975539 is seen stabled at Doncaster Station on 20.05.1990. Andy Cole.
975349 stabled in Doncaster station on the 20th May 1990 with 975539 behind. S Gaskell.
975539 stabled in Doncaster station on the 20th May 1990, with 975349 to its right. S Gaskell.
DB 975349 seen at Doncaster on the 26th May 1990. Paul Moxon.