During the final weeks of services in the hands of veteran Cravens-built diesel multiple units, unit E53361-E54416 pauses at Silvertown station forming a service from Camden Road to North Woolwich on 5 March 1985. The third rail is already in place and would be energised in a few weeks ready for the ex-SR class 2-EPB EMUs to commence services from May. The original Silvertown station was opened in 1863 as part of the Eastern Counties & Thames Junction Railway. The Tate & Lyle sugar factory is on the right and the line known locally as the 'Silvertown Tramway' is still in place, providing access to the T.W.Ward scrapyard alongside the Thames Barrier. Electrification of this section was to remain for just two decades, the line being closed in December 2006. This scene has now been transformed, the remaining station and buildings being demolished in 2012 to make way for the 'Crossrail' route.
5th March 1985
Only registered users can leave comments. Sign in / Register.