Type: Low Density
Coupling Code: Blue Square
Coupling Type: Screw
Gangway Type: LMS
Engines: Rolls Royce 180hp
Lot Number: 30692
|20/01/62||New to||26A (Newton Heath)|
|Sep-63||Depot code change||9D (Newton Heath)|
|2w/e 06/05/67||On loan to||56G (Bradford Hammerton St)|
|2w/e 03/06/67||Transferred to||56G (Bradford Hammerton St)|
|Dec-67||Depot code change||55F (Bradford Hammerton St)|
|May-73||Depot code change||HS (Bradford Hammerton St)|
|13/05/84||Transferred to||NL (Neville Hill)||- Hammerton Street closed|
|15/03/87||Withdrawn from||NL (Neville Hill)|
|52073||59815||52083||As delivered to 26A - 20th January 1962|
A Class 110 set at Sheffield, with 52083 closest. Undated, but as the other two vehicles are in blue this was probably taken in the early 1970s. Stuart Mackay Collection.
Stabled in what can rather loosely be described as a 'shed' 'Calder Valley' BRCW Class 110 DMU Nos. E52083-E59703-E51814 inside the roofless depot at Bradford Hammerton Street on 10th November 1979. The Class 110 diesel multiple units were built by the Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company in conjunction with the Drewry Car Co. to operate services on the former Lancashire and Yorkshire main line, and spent their entire careers based around this same area. This earned them the name of the 'Calder Valley' sets. They were an updated version of the Class 104, with a revised cab design and raised bodyside window frames. Of the depot itself, the former Hammerton Street shed in Bradford closed to steam in 1958 to concentrate on DMU and diesel shunter maintenance and finally closed in 1984 when the remaining class 110 units allocated there were transferred to Neville Hill depot in Leeds. Gordon Edgar.
A Class 110 seen at Newcastle on 22/07/1985. Whilst this Yorkshire-based class might have made occasional visits to Newcastle as arrivals from York, this image shows E51814 + E52083 awaiting departure with the 18:35 Newcastle - Sunderland Graeme Phillips Collection.